Monday, August 23, 2010
1930s Dress in Red Polka Dots
This is the first dress that I made from actual vintage pattern . It was also the first unprinted pattern I used, and my introduction to the joy of minimal instructions in vintage patterns.
This dress has pintucks along the front bodice and gathering along the yoke. It also has a pleat on the bodice back and pleats on the front and back skirt. The dress has patch pockets on the front with pin tucks which match the bodice. I sewed this up in cotton that is red with white polka dots. I wanted a dress that would be cool and comfortable.
The dress pattern is a reproduction of a 1930s dress pattern. The repro was created and sold by New Vintage Lady on etsy. Happily, the pattern came in a bust size that already fit, so I didn't have to do any futzing with the sizing.
Over all the dress fit together well. My biggest problem was the collar. The directions basically say "sew collar onto bodice" and I needed a little more direction than that. I ripped out the stitching 3 or 4 times (while cursing madly). I'm not sure that the collar is sewn in correctly, but it at least looks OK which is fine with me.
I was nervous about sewing button holes so I faked it. I figured out where the buttons should be on the front placket. Then I sewed snaps to the underside of the fabric, and buttons to the top. I also sewed a matching button to the top of each skirt pocket. I think I need to shift the buttons slightly to center them between the panels of tucking.
It's a great dress that I've got a lot of compliments on. I need to experiment with the styling. I think adding a belt would really improve the look. Also, I cut the dress too short for the proper 30s style. Letting them hem down at least another inch would add to the retro vibe